For many people beginning their retirement journey, selling their home is one of the first steps as they seek to move to a more ideal location. However, without expert guidance, the steps to prepare your home for sale can be fairly stressful with the long list of things to accomplish and the uncertainty of the process. This article covers three important aspects of preparing to sell your home.
There are critical things that can be done when preparing to sell your home that can help streamline this process, reducing your stress while enhancing the likelihood of selling your home for maximum profit.
This article breaks down the process of preparing a house for sale into three core areas: Organization, Structure, and Exterior.
Preparing To Sell Your Home: 3 Ways to Prepare Your House For Sale
Most people will tell you that one of the most difficult things to do is to keep a home organized. Lived-in spaces can be cluttered and there often simply is not enough time to keep things in order.
However, organization is absolutely critical when preparing your home for sale. The reality is that an organized home is an attractive one and will enhance a buyer’s unconscious appreciation for the space.
Here are some tips for organization as you prepare to sell your home:
- Go through your possessions and determine what you no longer need. Hold a yard sale or donate items to charity.
- For items that you want to keep, consider packing up many things including extra décor. This will give you a head start on packing while making your home less cluttered for prospective buyers.
- Go through and organize drawers. Buyers will look in them. If they see chaos, their mind will store that perception.
- Take down family photos. While they are undoubtedly precious memories, buyers want to see themselves in a home. This small fix helps encourage that process.
- Organize closets so that they look clean and structured. This helps with the put-together image you want to convey.
Now that the home is organized, it is time to turn your attention to more significant structural things. Completing these tasks will help the process of preparing your home for sale while enhancing the overall product you are showing to prospective buyers:
- Replace any lightbulbs that are out. Ensure that lights are the same color.
- Check for cracks in caulking in the bathroom and re-caulk or replace if needed.
- Ensure that the toilets, bathtubs, and sinks are clean.
- Paint all walls a neutral color, preferably the same color throughout the home. While you may like your reds and greens, buyers may not.
- Deep clean the entire house, paying special attention to baseboards, corners, grout, and things that may typically not get attention (i.e. shelves, fans).
- Check window screens for damage and replace or patch any tears. Clean windows thoroughly.
- Replace any baseboards or molding that are damaged.
While we tend to naturally focus on the interior of the home as it is the place where we actually spend our time, the exterior is absolutely critical when preparing your home for sale.
The exterior is the first thing that people see. The industry term of “curb appeal” refers to the overall aesthetic of your home when someone pulls up.
Focusing on the exterior with these tips can help you tremendously when preparing to sell your home:
- Check on your drainage system for damaged gutters or downspouts in need of repair.
- Consider flowerbeds along walkways or in other areas. Landscapers can greatly help identify the most cost-effective ways of improving your curb appeal.
- Consider replacing mulch
- Pressure wash the driveway and sidewalks. Remove and kill any weeds that are coming up through cracks.
- Consider a new coat of paint if there are lots of cracks or chips on the exterior.
- Trim all trees, bushes, and other vegetation to ensure that they are neat and orderly.
- Mow the lawn regularly to keep it at an optimum height. If there are dead spots, have a professional seed them a few months before listing if possible.
Prepare Your Home For Sale
Anyone who has been through the selling process before will tell you that there are many things that can be done preparing the house for sale to ensure that your home is ready for the market before listing it.
If working with a realtor, having them do a walkthrough as early as possible can help you identify other things to accomplish before listing.
However, simply checking off the items on this list will greatly enhance your ability to enter the market.
The key is simply to make your home outshine competitors. Thus, when preparing your house for sale, keep these three major categories of to-dos in mind.