Looking to stay healthy and fit during retirement? Then it’s important you don’t overlook the power of simple dietary supplements, which can have a positive lasting effect on your health and well-being.
A common question is: What dietary supplements should I be taking? To answer this question, we put together a list of the 5 best everyday supplements.
What is Fish Oil and What Does it Do?
Fish oil is found in fatty fish like salmon, tuna, mackerel, and herring. The oil in these fish is full of omega-3 fatty acids that are extremely beneficial to your health. Fish oil is better than other omega-3 fatty acid sources because it contains both DHA and APA. You can also only get these important acids from fish oil.
The Benefits of Fish Oil:
- Prevents and manages heart disease. When you take fish oil supplements, you are helping to lower cholesterol, blood pressure, and triglycerides. Fish oil can also slow the hardening of plaque in your arteries, which reduces your chances of sudden cardiac death if you have heart disease.
- Protects the brain. Fish oil keeps your brain healthy and prevents cognitive decline from diseases like Alzheimer’s. It also helps prevent and manage the symptoms of mental disorders like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
- Reduces Inflammation. If you suffer from chronic pain and inflammation, then fish oil can help you fight this constant problem. Fish oil can reduce the production of inflammatory molecules and treats the symptoms of chronic inflammation.
Who Should Take Fish Oil?
Anyone who wants to improve their heart and brain health, as well as reduce chronic pain. If you do not like the taste of fish, you can take fish oil supplements.
Whey Protein Powder
What is Whey Protein Powder and What Does it Do?
Whey protein is made when milk is separated. Whey is found in the watery parts of milk that has been separated from the fatty part. This protein is easily absorbed by the body and has lots of amino acids, making it a great source of protein for everyone. Your body needs protein for just about every function, but especially for muscle health. Whey protein powder does not have a strong taste and can be easily added to shakes and smoothies for additional protein, as a part of a healthy diet.
The Benefits of Whey Protein Powder:
- Builds muscle. As you age, your body naturally begins to deteriorate. You can prevent the loss of muscle mass by strength training and building muscle with a protein-rich diet.
- Helps you become stronger. Having strong muscles will help let you live an independent lifestyle. You will be able to get up and down more easily and prevent falls. If you do fall or get injured, strong muscles will help you recover more quickly.
- Keeps you lean. Having strong muscles will boost your metabolism and help you burn fat more quickly. You will be able to eat more and maintain a healthy weight.
Who Should Take Whey Protein Powder?
Anyone who wants to build muscle and prevent the natural loss of muscle mass as they age.
What is a Multi-Vitamin and What Does it Do?
Vitamins are chemical compounds your body needs to function at its best. If you do not consume the right amount of vitamins, you will develop diseases, pain, and inflammation. Multi-vitamins contain small amounts of the vitamins you should be getting every day, so that they can cover all of your nutrient needs.
The Benefits of Taking a Multi-Vitamin:
- Slows aging. A multi-vitamin will help prevent DNA damage to cells that comes from exposure to free radicals.
- Prevents degenerative diseases. A multi-vitamin helps prevent skeletal, muscular and cognitive diseases. It also decreases the effects of heart disease.
Who Should Take a Multi-Vitamin?
Anyone who wants to augment their diet and prevent degenerative diseases from aging.
What is Melatonin and What Does it Do?
Melatonin is a hormone that helps your body regulate its sleep cycle. Without melatonin, your body has trouble falling asleep. However, melatonin can help prevent other health problems that come with aging.
The Benefits of Melatonin:
- Helps you fall asleep. If you struggle with insomnia, then a melatonin supplement will help you fall asleep and better regulate your sleep cycle.
- Protect your brain. Melatonin can help prevent degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
- Fights cancer. Melatonin can help fight several different types of cancer as well as counteract some of the negative side effects of chemotherapy.
Who Should Take Melatonin?
Anyone that wants to sleep better and prevent cancer, inflammation and oxidative stress.
What is Coenzyme Q10 and What Does it Do?
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is made by your body and stored in the mitochondria in your cells, mostly in your liver, heart, kidneys, and lungs. As you age, your body stops making as much CoQ10, which can lead to a deficiency. This can cause problems for those over the age of 55 because it causes your body to become deficient in nutrients, increases oxidative stress, leads to mitochondrial diseases and places increased demands on tissues.
The Benefits of Coenzyme Q10:
- Treats heart failure. CoQ10 significantly reduces inflammation, especially the type that causes heart failure. It also lowers the risk of developing other heart problems.
- Reduces age-related vision loss. As you age, you may experience macular degeneration. CoQ10 has been shown to prevent this type of vision loss.
- Slows aging in skin. As you age, your skin loses elasticity and plumpness. CoQ10 can reduce oxidative stress that causes skin to wrinkle and sag, as well as reduce the chances of developing skin cancer.
- Helps with headaches. CoQ10 can help reduce the occurrence of migraines. Headaches are often caused by oxidative stress in the mitochondria of cells. Since CoQ10 lives in the mitochondria, it can decrease inflammation and improve cells’ functioning, which decreases pain.
Who Should Take Coenzyme Q10?
Anyone who wants to prevent age-related degeneration in the heart, eyes and skin.
Live Healthier Today
Giving your body the tools it needs to stay healthy is a key to a happy retirement. These five everyday supplements are staples that support a healthy diet and exercise program. Be sure to check out our other health and fitness articles to get in the best shape of your life during retirement!
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Always consult with a qualified healthcare professional prior to beginning any diet or exercise program or taking any dietary supplement. The content on our website is for informational and educational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice or to replace a relationship with a qualified healthcare professional.