For many, retirement marks the start of the next, best chapter of one’s life. With numerous retirement quotes out there – funny, inspirational, sentimental – it’s hard to find the right words to say to another or express how one is feeling about the big transition.
Alas, we have rounded up some of the best retirement quotes for you.
Inspirational Retirement Quotes
What makes a good retirement saying? Different things stick with different people. Here are 26 retirement sayings and inspirational retirement quotes that may be your new go-to mantra.
1. Don’t act your age in retirement. Act like the inner young person you always have been. – J.A. West
2. How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. – Winnie the Pooh
3. We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give. – Winston Churchill
4. This is the beginning of anything you want.
5. Retirement is when you stop living at work and start working at living.
6. Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter. – Mark Twain
7. To me, retirement means doing what you have fun doing. – Dick Van Dyke
8. Retirement is not the end of the road. It is the beginning of a wide-open highway.
9. A lot of friends complain about their retirement. We tell ‘em to get a life. – Larry Laser
10. Retirement is a blank sheet of paper. It is a chance to redesign your life into something new and different. – Patrick Foley
11. I see retirement as just another of these reinventions, another chance to do new things and be a new version of myself. – Walt Mossberg
12. Don’t simply retire from something; have something to retire to. – Harry Emerson Fosdick
13. Retirement means doing whatever I want to do. It means choice. – Dianne Nahirny
14. You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. – C.S. Lewis
15. Most people spend their whole lives planning their retirement, but when they actually retire, they don’t know what to do. Don’t let this happen to you.
16. As in all successful ventures, the foundation of a good retirement is planning. – Earl Nightingale
17. There is a fountain of youth: it is in your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age. – Sophia Loren
18. After climbing the mountain, you can finally enjoy the view.
19. The longer you work, the more money you’ll have for retirement. But the longer you work, the less time you’ll have to enjoy that retirement.
20. I never did a day’s work in my whole life. It was all fun. – Thomas Edison
21. When one door closes, another one opens. – Alexander Graham Bell
22. We work all our lives so we can retire – so we can do what we want with our time – and the way we define or spend our time defines who we are and what we value. – Bruce Linton
23. Retirement is a time for personal growth, which becomes the path to greater personal freedom. – Mark Evan Chimsky
24. What does retirement mean now that there are so many opportunities for learning, for caring, for serving? We can redefine aging. – Rachel Cowan
25. People can’t do anything about growing older because it’s one of the most natural things in the world, but one thing you can control, though, is how you’ll live your life once you’re old enough to retire. – Adrian J. Williams
26. Retirement’s the most wonderful thing. I get to enjoy all the things I never stopped to notice on the way up. After an extraordinary life, it’s time to enjoy my retirement. – Patrick Macnee
Funny Retirement Quotes
Have you been in search of funny retirement quotes or funny retirement jokes? Look no further! Here are 25 of the best funny retirement quotes and jokes out there!
1. Retiring means “little-to-no” work. But if you need something to do, my garage could use a good cleaning!!
2. What do you call a person who is happy on Monday? Retired.
3. I can’t wait to retire so I can get up at 6 o’clock in the morning and go drive around really slow and make everyone late for work.
4. I don’t want to. I don’t have to. You can’t make me. I’m retired!
5. I found my calling… retirement!
6. Retirement: When you return from work on day and say “Hi, Honey, I’m home… forever”! – Gene Perret
7. Retirement is when you switch bosses from the one who hired you to the one who married you.
8. I’m not retired… golfing is a full-time job!
9. In retirement, every day is Boss Day and every day is Employee Appreciation Day.
10. Retirement: When you stop lying about your age and start lying around the house.
11. He who laughs last at the boss’s jokes probably isn’t far from retirement.
12. Now that you’ve gone through birth, crawling, walking, school, and many years of work, you can finally relax!
13. Travel, relax, and spend all of the kids inheritance (they will never know)!
14. Behind every retired man is a woman wishing he would go back to work.
15. Retirement: The world’s longest coffee break.
16. I enjoy waking up and not having to go to work. So, I do it three or four times a day. – Gene Perret
17. There are some who start their retirement long before they stop working. – Robert Half
18. I need to retire from retirement.
19. You know you’re ready to retire when you remember where your office is, but not exactly what you do there.
20. Thank you for your email. I am out of the office… permanently!
21. Now that you’ve got your boss off your back, you can do what you want, when you want, so long as your wife approves!
22. Retirement: A time when showering and getting dressed in the morning becomes optional.
23. I don’t always enjoy being retired… oh wait, yes I do!
24. iRetired: There’s a nap for that.
25. Retirement means no pressure, no stress, no heartache… unless you play golf! – Gene Perret
How do you wish someone a happy retirement? Sometimes it is hard to find the right words for retirement card messages depending on your relationship with that individual. Are they retirement wishes for a coworker? Retirement wishes for a boss? Whatever the case may be, here are 26 retirement messages to give you a start.
1. You will never have to ask for a day off ever again. Happy Retirement!
2. Welcome to the next, best chapter of your life!
3. Enjoy your never-ending vacation!
4. You can’t retire from being great.
5. Enjoy your retirement! A perfect time to enjoy all the things you never had time to do when you worked.
6. The days of 9 – 5 are in the past. Happy Retirement!
7. The position you have waited on for years is finally yours!
8. For the person who gave their best day in and day out, cheers to your retirement!
9. Happy Retirement! Make sure you work just as hard at relaxing as you have in your great career.
10. It’s time to enjoy your life, cherish every moment of it.
11. I wish you a happy retirement filled with love, fun and happiness.
12. Here’s to watching your grand kids instead of the bottom line. Happy Retirement!
13. Congratulations on beating me to retirement. I’ll try not to hold it against you.
14. Congrats to the retiree! You deserve it!
15. Congratulations not only on your retirement, but on all the incredible years of work you put into getting there.
16. Congratulations! I hope you soak up all of the sunshine and fun memories you can.
17. With heartfelt congratulations on your retirement.
18. Best wishes for your retirement and congratulations on your standout career!
19. May all the years that lie ahead bring you much joy and relaxation.
20. Congratulations, here’s to a long, healthy and happy retirement.
21. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.
22. Keep busy and make the most of your retirement!
23. May all your bucket list dreams come true for you in retirement.
24. Cheers to making all of your retirement dreams come true!
25. If you get bored, don’t worry I’m only one phone call away!
26. Live well, be happy. Happy Retirement!
There you have it, 77 retirement quotes that cover the inspirational, funny and sentimental retirement messages. Have your own favorite? Drop us a comment below and share!